Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Beach Sand Needed for Geology Museum in Kiev

A geologist I know who works at the geology museum in Kiev is gathering a collection of sands from "beaches of the world" for use in a later display. If there's anyone out there who is coming to Kiev in the foreseeable future and lives near a beach (sea or ocean beach), please contact me!

Roughly 1 kg of sand is needed (2.2 lbs) from each beach on display, and it must be collected from a certain point along the waterline. Contact me for precise information if you are willing to help us out with this.

3 comments:

  1. I live near Washington, D.C. and am planning on being in Kiev in mid-September; I could easily pick up a sample from the Chesapeake Bay. Obviously, that's not an ocean or sea, but I thought you might be interested anyway since it lets out into the Atlantic. If you're interested, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt, that would be terrific. The amount needed is less than I originally posted: only 300 to 500 grams (around a pound). They'll also need to know the exact location (for instance, which part of Chesapeake Bay or simply GPS coordinates).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rick, in case your spam filter ate my email I'm noting this here, too: I'm in Kiev now and am not sure where to go or with whom to speak to deliver the sand. If your friend is still interested in it, please let me know.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete